Re: problem with quota on rootfs

To: Joerg Maier <joerg.maier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: problem with quota on rootfs
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 13:56:25 -0500
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Joerg Maier wrote:
Steve Lord wrote:

You need to get the quota options into the root mount options from
the bootloader.

Does that mean something i found earlier on the mailinglist? rootflags=quota

So my lilo.conf has an
append = "ide0=0xe800,0xe402 ide1=0xe000,0xd802 rootflags=quota"
then?

And what about /etc/fstab, does it need usrquota options for my rootfs?

That should not matter, I think, but you may as well put it there too just for clarity. Since quota is not remountable, the quota option in fstab should have no effect.

I just ask because i have to drive 30 mins to get there if the reboot fails.

And, just curious, does it matter which version of xfs is on the device or does that version update every time i change xfstools?

The on-disk format generally doesn't change, and if it ever does it's in a forwards-and-backwards-compatible fashion. (older kernels will recognize unusupported features and refuse to mount, newer kernels should always mount older filesystems)

-Eric