Re: XFS performance issues: O_DIRECT and Linux 2.6.6+

To: james.foris@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: XFS performance issues: O_DIRECT and Linux 2.6.6+
From: James Foris <james.foris@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 10:15:42 -0500
Cc: Nathan Scott <nathans@xxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
James Foris wrote:
Nathan Scott wrote:

On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 03:39:44PM -0500, James Foris wrote:

I have been using XFS in both IRIX and Linux for many years now, and overall I am quite happy with it - recommend it to everyone, run it on my home systems, etc.

But, recently I ran into something that I need some help in understanding/explaining.
The title says it all, really, but the details follow below.

Hi there,

Before I forget completely, from talking to Christoph a few
days back he suggested that the problems you were seeing may
have been resolved by some fixes that have gone into the tree
in the last week or two (they certainly touch this area) - if
you could retry your tests and let us know whether you still
see this degredation on Linus' current -bk tree, that would
be much appreciated!

I misread the listings; there are only 2 "bk" releases on "http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/snapshots/old/";
between 2.6.5 and 2.6.6-rc1.

I will know which caused this problem this afternoon.

Thanks,

Jim Foris

Thanks again,

Jim Foris