Re: Oops when running xfs_fsr

To: Joe Eiler <jeiler@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Oops when running xfs_fsr
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 10:22:36 -0500
Cc: "'linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx'" <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Joe Eiler wrote:
I am getting an Oops when running xfs_fsr.  The only way I can get it to
disappear is to turn on debugging in the kernel ;-)  From my limited stack
tracing abilities it doesn't look like and xfs problem but I can't reproduce
it anyother way than with xfs_fsr.

I have reliably reproduced the problem on 3 different machines running
2.6.7, 2.6.8.1 (from kernel.org)  Most of the rest of the system is fedora
core2 rpms.

Are you using 4KSTACKS?

If you oops on reiserfs while running xfs userspace, something is going quite wrong; I'd suspect corruption of some sort - and blowing a stack might do that. Especially if you've got volume managers under it...

Try turning off CONFIG_4KSTACKS if it's on, and perhaps turn on CONFIG_DEBUG_STACKOVERFLOW and CONFIG_DEBUG_STACK_USAGE

If you don't have 4kstacks, and you still see overflows, I may have a patch that will help trim down stack usage during fsr.

-Eric