Re: XFS + LVM + Software RAID5 on Debian testing

To: Charles Steinkuehler <charles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS + LVM + Software RAID5 on Debian testing
From: Steve Wray <stevew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 09:03:35 +1200
Cc: Chris Wedgwood <cw@xxxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Thursday 24 June 2004 05:20, Charles Steinkuehler wrote:
> Chris Wedgwood wrote:
> > I guess open a bug if you haven't done so already, nothing obvious
> > springs to mind and I don't know much about LVs (I just assumed
> > they were simple enough and would work as expected).
>
> I'm becoming less conviced this is an XFS problem, and am thinking
> there might be some issues with the 'stacking' of the new SATA
> drivers, software RAID5, and LVM2 in linux.  I'm still doing testing,
> and if possible am going to try a 2.6 kernel, LVM1 (instead of LVM2),
> and the kernel from debian-stable (if it will talk to my NForce2
> chipset and SiImage SATA controllers).
>
> Does anyone know if the combination of LVM2 and software RAID5 on top
> of SATA works reliably outside of any filesystem issues?

We are running a debian woody box, with some things from backports; its
got 2.6.6 kernel, LVM2, sata, software raid 5 and many of its
filesystems are XFS.

We've been seeing lots of problems on the XFS partitions, but
touching /forcefsck and watching a reboot reveals that there are
frequently problems with other filesystems; / frequently has issues and
its ext2 on /dev/hda1 which is a PATA device.

XFS certainly complains a lot louder than the other filesystems do when
it has problems, but I don't believe that its an XFS specific problem.