xfs on raid questions

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: xfs on raid questions
From: Chuck Campbell <campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 12:44:12 -0500
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
I looked through the list archives, and found one similar question,
but no answers, so I am posting this in hopes of getting some help.
I would gladly read more info if there are some pointers to it.

I would also accept and SGI/irix posting location/mailing list if anyone
knows of one.

My situation:

I have a new raid box, with 2 raid5 sets of 7 x 250Gb disks each.
I need to install it on an SGI (which I have right now, running 6.5.17),
then later move it to a linux server (which is being built in early July.
I need to do proof of concept testing now.  The docs indicate this should
not be a problem.

I have set up the raid with a 64k stripe size (the device will see lots
of large files).  I assume the device will pass 64kb * 512 bytes per transfer.

I assume I need to use:
sunit = 128, which is 64kb/512b
swidth = 896, which is (#disks-1) * sunit

Is this sane for aligned transfers, or am I misunderstanding something?

I am totally guessing that I should use log section options of
size = 64m
sunit = 128

I'm also curious about the nfs mount options (under linux kernel 2.4.x)
that might increase performance.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide,
-chuck