XFS + LVM + Software RAID5

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: XFS + LVM + Software RAID5
From: Charles Steinkuehler <charles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 11:54:32 -0500
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
OK, my initial disasterous attempts to get XFS + LVM + Software RAID5 seem to be due to SATA controller/driver issues. With that hopefully cleared up now that I've got that hopefully cleared up (once new hardware arrives), I'm hoping someone can answer a few questions about 'stacking' these technologies.

Is anyone running XFS on top of LVM and software RAID5? I'd like to know this is actually stable before trying it again (I've already eaten my testing budget tracking down the driver issue!).

Given a 4-disks, with the bulk of their size in a RAID-5 array, and assuming XFS+LVM+RAID5 works (or maybe even plain XFS+RAID5, if LVM causes problems), what's the best way to setup XFS for this arrangement? Does it make sense to put the log on a seperate partition (or perhaps a small RAID1 carved from the start of the disk), or use internal logging?

If I put the log on a RAID1 that shares spindles with the RAID5 array, will this totally kill my performance?

I'm also concerned about the cache resizing that occured when I ran xfs_repair on a partition that resided on top of a RAID5 array. I suppose this could have been due to my drive corruption problems, but it would be nice to hear from someone who can confirm XFS gets along nicely with RAID5 (I can't test until I get new hardware and can put more than 2 drives online at once w/o driver problems :< ).

Thanks in advance for any advice. I'm hoping to avoid falling back to JFS or even <ugh> ext3 (resizing big ext3 partitions takes a *LONG* time, and the data is off-line the whole time).

--
Charles Steinkuehler
charles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx