Re: XFS + LVM + Software RAID5 on Debian testing

To: Chris Wedgwood <cw@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS + LVM + Software RAID5 on Debian testing
From: Charles Steinkuehler <charles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 12:20:39 -0500
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Chris Wedgwood wrote:

I guess open a bug if you haven't done so already, nothing obvious
springs to mind and I don't know much about LVs (I just assumed they
were simple enough and would work as expected).

I'm becoming less conviced this is an XFS problem, and am thinking there might be some issues with the 'stacking' of the new SATA drivers, software RAID5, and LVM2 in linux. I'm still doing testing, and if possible am going to try a 2.6 kernel, LVM1 (instead of LVM2), and the kernel from debian-stable (if it will talk to my NForce2 chipset and SiImage SATA controllers).

Does anyone know if the combination of LVM2 and software RAID5 on top of SATA works reliably outside of any filesystem issues?

--
Charles Steinkuehler
charles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx