Re: Shared Devices with XFS

To: Frank Hellmann <frank@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Shared Devices with XFS
From: Greg Freemyer <freemyer-ml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 16:07:47 -0400
Cc: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>, XFS List <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, 2004-05-27 at 05:56, Frank Hellmann wrote:
> Hi!
>
> see below...
>
> Steve Lord wrote:
> > Frank Hellmann wrote:
> >

> > Sharing a SAN filesystem between machines involves a lot more than
> > just cabling up the storage ;-).
>
> Right. Most of it has to do with loads of money... ;-)

OT: non-xfs below

You could try opengfs, ocfs (Oracle Cluster File Server), or lustre.
All are GPL and have production installs.  I don't know what sort of
performance any of them have in a primarily read-only environment, but
it should not be too bad.

OpenGFS: OpenGFS currently has a spof (single point of failure) if the
lock server dies.  OpenGFS is trying to get 0.4 out in the next couple
of months.  It will be the first opengfs release with no single points
of failure, if that is important to you.  Intel has a couple of
engineers that have been working on the 0.4 release pretty hard. I heard
yesterday that they hope to have a 0.4 beta out in the next week or so.

ocfs: The biggest problem with ocfs is that it does not have any
file-locking, but if you are doing read-only, that should not matter to
you.  Oracle is supposidely working on ocfs2 which will have more
functionality.

Lustre: I don't know much about lustre, but I don't think it is designed
for a shared SAN.  If anybody knows different, please correct me.

Also GFS from RH (via the Sistina acquisition) is supposed to be
released GPL at some point.  I don't know much about GFS, but it has a
dedicated engineering team that works on it.  Sistina has been selling
it commercially for 3 years I think.  Hopefully it will be GPL'ed this
summer?  (Search for old press releases.)

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer