Re: XFS for postgres databases?

To: Nathan Scott <nathans@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS for postgres databases?
From: "Jeffrey W. Baker" <jwbaker@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 08:54:25 -0700
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, 2004-05-11 at 21:39, Nathan Scott wrote:
> On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 08:30:08PM -0700, Jeffrey W. Baker wrote:
> > On Tue, 2004-05-11 at 18:00, Steve Wray wrote:
> > > Hi there,
> > > I'd just like to know if anyone knows of any issues with running a
> > > postgres database on an XFS filesystem in Linux?
> > >
> > > We did this a few weeks ago and the DB Admin swears that they have been
> > > seeing problems. I'm not convinced that the problems are XFS related.
> >
> > Until a few days ago I had a very large postgresql installation on XFS.
> > We suffered very unusual problems like corrupt tables, missing rows,
> > corrupt indexes, and so forth.
>
> You were running dd on the block device at the same time as using
> the mounted filesystem though, weren't you?  Did problems persist
> after you stopped doing that?  You didn't get back to us with any
> further details there..

That was an entirely separate host/filesystem.  On the postgresql server
we weren't mucking around with the disk by hand, just running
postgresql.

Although I'd love to try to debug these problems I have limited time to
do so.  We aren't exactly a huge shop here, I have to get my
applications working and then move on to the next task.  Reporting my
observations might be the limit of my usefulness for the time being.

-jwb