Re: XFS for postgres databases?

To: stevew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: XFS for postgres databases?
From: "Jeffrey W. Baker" <jwbaker@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 20:30:08 -0700
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, 2004-05-11 at 18:00, Steve Wray wrote:
> Hi there,
> I'd just like to know if anyone knows of any issues with running a
> postgres database on an XFS filesystem in Linux?
>
> We did this a few weeks ago and the DB Admin swears that they have been
> seeing problems. I'm not convinced that the problems are XFS related.

Until a few days ago I had a very large postgresql installation on XFS.
We suffered very unusual problems like corrupt tables, missing rows,
corrupt indexes, and so forth.  We've never seen those problems on ext2,
to which we have since switched back.

We also had a host of other operational problems like oopsing on log
recovery at boot, inability to mount the fs, days-long xfsrepair
sessions, ad infinitum.

It may be that the heavy sync load of postgresql is not well tested
under Linux with xfs.

-jwb