Re: XFS exploding on 2.4.26 out of nowhere

To: Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS exploding on 2.4.26 out of nowhere
From: Nathan Scott <nathans@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 09:41:13 +1000
Cc: "Jeffrey W. Baker" <jwbaker@xxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 09:40:42PM +0100, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 09:26:38AM -0700, Jeffrey W. Baker wrote:
> > XFS just decided out of the blue it was hosed.  This has been reported
> > on this list a number of times, normally with NFS involved.  But this
> > filesystem was not exported with NFS, it was simply running bonnie,
> > memtest.sh, and dd md0 all at once.
>
> Don't touch the underlying device if XFS is active.  This is know to
> cause data corruption.  I have an experimental fix for 2.6 here, I just
> need to get rid of a occasional deadlock in there that I'm hitting.
>
> While it's conceptually backportable to 2.4 I doubt marcelo will take
> it.
>
> Nathan, Eric:  any good idea how to prominently warn about this?

Not really, its a tough one.  It really needs to be in the kernel
to be effective ...  would it have to be a complete 2.6 backport,
or could there be some simplified infrastructure we could use?
Maybe just something setting a flag when we claim the device(s)
(while holding bd_sem), and preventing blkdev opens on those in
the block_dev.c::do_open  (and vice-versa, of course, preventing
a mount on an already open device).  There does seem to be some
infrastructure we might use (bd_sem/bd_openers)?

Probably we should claim the device excl in 2.6 too until its
sorted out too (but if the fix is close at hand, better to focus
on that I geuss).

thanks.

--
Nathan