XFS exploding on 2.4.26 out of nowhere

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: XFS exploding on 2.4.26 out of nowhere
From: "Jeffrey W. Baker" <jwbaker@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 09:26:38 -0700
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
We've been having tons of trouble with whatever version of XFS is merged
into the 2.4 kernel.  At first (some months ago, as reported on this
list) we believed the XFS code was having trouble recovering hard I/O
errors on our SCSI-attached RAID, which is easy to understand.  But
yesterday, on a 2.4.26 machine with an SATA-attached 4-way RAID-0 stripe
set, we got this error from XFS, without any I/O errors at all:

xfs_force_shutdown(md(9,0),0x8) called from line 1070 of file xfs_trans.c.
Return address = 0xc0295edc
xfs_iunlink_remove: xfs_itobp()  returned an error 5 on md(9,0).  Returning
error.
Filesystem "md(9,0)": Corruption of in-memory data detected.  Shutting down
filesystem: md(9,0)
Please umount the filesystem, and rectify the problem(s)

XFS just decided out of the blue it was hosed.  This has been reported
on this list a number of times, normally with NFS involved.  But this
filesystem was not exported with NFS, it was simply running bonnie,
memtest.sh, and dd md0 all at once.  That's not even a remarkable I/O
load, and it was less than 1 hour of this load before failure.

-jwb