Re: Questions about pagebuf code

To: Craig Tierney <ctierney@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Questions about pagebuf code
From: Nathan Scott <nathans@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 14:38:21 +1000
Cc: Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, May 01, 2004 at 03:21:23PM -0600, Craig Tierney wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-05-01 at 12:47, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> >
> > Everything dealing with xfs_buf_t (= mostly metadata, + O_DIRECT data
> > I/O in 2.4) is handled by xfs_buf.
> >
> I am trying to debug a problem with file corruption writing to my xfs
> filesystem (over nfs) when the server is under heavy load (16+ clients
> writing simultaneously to different directories).  It does happen with
> different versions under the 2.4 kernel.  It doesn't happen wen ext2 or
> jfs is used as the underlying filesystem.  It does happen more often on
> when faster servers are used, and the corruption is always page aligned
> (starts at ADDR%4096==0, ends at ADDR%4096=4095).

I'd guess your pagesize and fs blocksize are both 4K?

If you read between the lines of Christophs mail, pagebuf isn't
the right place to be looking for regular file data corruption,
and probably the mem alloc interfaces are unrelated here also.
You'll want to focus on the get_block and writepage operations
in xfs_aops.c, I suspect.

cheers.

--
Nathan