Re: Shared Devices with XFS

To: Greg Freemyer <freemyer-ml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Shared Devices with XFS
From: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 15:38:55 -0500
Cc: Frank Hellmann <frank@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, XFS List <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Greg Freemyer wrote:
On Thu, 2004-05-27 at 05:56, Frank Hellmann wrote:

Hi!

see below...

Steve Lord wrote:

Frank Hellmann wrote:

Sharing a SAN filesystem between machines involves a lot more than
just cabling up the storage ;-).

Right. Most of it has to do with loads of money... ;-)

OT: non-xfs below

You could try opengfs, ocfs (Oracle Cluster File Server), or lustre. All are GPL and have production installs. I don't know what sort of
performance any of them have in a primarily read-only environment, but
it should not be too bad.

OpenGFS: OpenGFS currently has a spof (single point of failure) if the
lock server dies.  OpenGFS is trying to get 0.4 out in the next couple
of months.  It will be the first opengfs release with no single points
of failure, if that is important to you.  Intel has a couple of
engineers that have been working on the 0.4 release pretty hard. I heard
yesterday that they hope to have a 0.4 beta out in the next week or so.

ocfs: The biggest problem with ocfs is that it does not have any
file-locking, but if you are doing read-only, that should not matter to
you.  Oracle is supposidely working on ocfs2 which will have more
functionality.

Lustre: I don't know much about lustre, but I don't think it is designed
for a shared SAN.  If anybody knows different, please correct me.

Lustre shares data via a high speed network, not fiberchannel. There are storage nodes - one metadata and a bunch of object stores. These are all dedicated linux boxes with their own storage. The Lustre clients run on the nodes the apps are on, these access the storage by talking to the metadata and object store nodes. You can do things like stripe files across the nodes etc. For speed you need a very fast network.

Also GFS from RH (via the Sistina acquisition) is supposed to be released GPL at some point. I don't know much about GFS, but it has a dedicated engineering team that works on it. Sistina has been selling it commercially for 3 years I think. Hopefully it will be GPL'ed this summer? (Search for old press releases.)

Yep, this summer I hear - will show up first in a Redhat release.

Greg

There are also other commercial offerings available on Linux, which unlike CXFS do not require an SGI metdata server and will run on fairly generic hardware. Still fairly spendy though.

Steve