Re: Is XFS backwards compatible?

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Is XFS backwards compatible?
From: Ethan Benson <erbenson@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 16:09:39 -0800
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Sun, Apr 04, 2004 at 07:44:14PM -0400, Jesse W. Asher wrote:

> Hello all!
>
> I have a system with filesystems built with XFS 1.0.1.  I'd like to
> reinstall it using the latest XFS, but I'm wondering if XFS 1.3.1 will
> be able to read the filesystems created with 1.0.1?  Eventually, I'd
> like to recreate them, but I'd like to know if I need to move my data
> before I reinstall.  Thanks!!
the on disk format doesn't change in incompatible ways, the versions
have to do with code versions, not disk format versions.

so yes your existing filesystems are perfectly fine.

> P.S. Will XFS 1.3.1 work with RedHat 9?

if you replace the redhat kernel sure.

just build yourself a 2.4.25 from kernel.org, it has XFS support.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/