Re: 2.6.4 can't mount root xfs

To: John Palkovic <scientist@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 2.6.4 can't mount root xfs
From: Mike Burger <mburger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 01:23:23 -0500 (EST)
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, 19 Mar 2004, John Palkovic wrote:

> I can now report that my system boots with an XFS root partition. I'm
> posting this here in the hope that it might save someone some time and
> frustration in the future. The fix was to add the following options to my
> .config, from File Systems --> Partition Types
>
> CONFIG_PARTITION_ADVANCED=y
> CONFIG_MSDOS_PARTITION=y
>
> The strange thing is that this only seems to be necessary when root is
> formatted as an XFS partition. If I format it, e.g., as ext3, then I can
> boot with a 2.6.4 kernel that does not have these two options set. With
> 2.6.3, they don't need to be set.

Silly question, but do you have a separate partition for /boot, or is it
sitting off of / in the root partition?
--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS
telnet://dogpound2.citadel.org or http://dogpound2.citadel.org:2000

To be notified of updates to the web site, visit