Re: why can't I make 2.6 kernels boot xfs?

To: Christian Rice <xian@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: why can't I make 2.6 kernels boot xfs?
From: Joshua Schmidlkofer <menion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 09:25:07 -0800
Cc: XFS List <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, 2004-03-05 at 09:22, Christian Rice wrote:
> I've looked everywhere for a clue as to where I'm screwing up, but I've
> not figured this out.
> For some reason, starting with 2.6.x, I can't get the kernels I build to
> mount the root partition.  It's kind of driving me batty, because I KNOW
> I have XFS and IDE support NAILED in the kernel, not as modules.
> I get a VFS Panic every time along the lines of:
> VFS: Cannot open root device hda3 or "hda3"
> grub.conf:
> title Red Hat Linux (2.6.3)
>          root (hd0,0)
>          kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.3 root=303 mem=nopentium idebus=66
>          initrd /initrd-2.6.3.img
> I've been building successful XFS kernels for a couple years, using them
>   on HUNDREDS of production workstations, servers and renderfarm
> machines.  This 2.6 business is confuscating.  Basically, I'm just
> downloading the kernel source from www.kernel.org, adding Tronds NFS_All
> patches, if any, and building the kernel with gcc 3.2.2.
> No deja searches yield answers that help.  Everyone says "make sure
> you've turned on IDE support, blah blah.  It's on.
> Any help yielding the bootable condition will earn my undying gratitude.
> Thanks.

Christian, if you send me a more complete dmesg output, along with your
.config and an lspci, I will look at them.  I have been using 2.6 on a
ton of stuff.

If you have a problem, it could be ACPI related. (if so, try: pci=noacpi
on boot)

Kill your initrd (if you can) - I have had TONS of problems with
2.6.[1-3] and mkinitrd - it does not generate complete initrd's all the

If you have serial console configured, then modify your boot command
line as such:

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.3 root=303 mem=nopentium idebus=66 console=tty0

it doesn't matter whether or not ttyS0 is plugged in, the entire boot
will run as though it is being pushed out a 300 baud serial device,
hence the entire thing will be readable.  See if you are seeing the ide
drives getting probed, and if you are seeing the correct partitions.