Re: XFS forced shutdown with kernel 2.6.0

To: <Administrator@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS forced shutdown with kernel 2.6.0
From: <Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 16:46:37 +0100
Cc: <linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 02 Jan 2004 20:34:07 +0000
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 18:29:21 GMT, Christoph Hellwig said:
> I've seen the same bug a few times lately, but only if I had previous
> memory corruption due to code I was hacking on.  Can you reproduce it
> without the nvidia module loaded as that is likely source of such
> corruption?

While you're at it, see what *else* you can turn off - RAID, devfs, NFS, etc.

It's equally likely that you're tripping over some other kernel module's
use-after-free or chase-the-wrong-pointer bug.  I've seen a lot more bugfixes
for *those* on this list than cases where "I turned off nvidia and it started
working".

From the 2.6.1-rc1 release notes:

Jeff Garzik:
  o [libata] fix use-after-free
Stephen Hemminger:
  o [ROSE]: Fix use after free in socket destruction

Andrew Morton, on broken iee1394:

> aargh, sorry.  You need to revert
>

> ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.1-rc1/2.6.1-rc1-mm1/broken-out/sysfs-add-vc-class.patch
>
> This is the totally weird tty oops which Greg and I have been starting
> at bemusedly for a few days.

That's *this week* or so. Yes, I understand the political and/or realistic
reasons for refusing to look at tainted kernels, but let's face it guys, *our*
code is to blame more often than NVidia's.  When was the last time there was a
*verified* report of "I turned the NVidia graphics module off and things
worked" that wasn't directly related to a graphics issue?