Re: XFS on large block device problem

To: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS on large block device problem
From: Frank Hellmann <frank@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 11:43:19 +0100
Cc: XFS List <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Eric!

Eric Sandeen wrote:
If you are able to re-mkfs the filesystem, can you try a mkfs
immediately followed by a repair, to see if the mkfs worked properly? I've been talking to someone else on 2.6.3 + xfs + lbd + md where mkfs
wasn't even able to get bits down to the disk properly.  This is just
userspace; if we can't do writes and have md put them in the right
place, we're in trouble.  stracing mkfs, I see pwrites of superblocks to
locations that never seem to make it to disk...  I'm tempted to blame
md, but I need to try to recreate here.

Anyway, can you try mkfs.xfs; xfs_repair?

Sure.

I did a clean run of the mkfs.xfs and two runs of xfs_repair.

It seems that the xfs_repair doesn't like the filesystem that much.

I attached the output and strace.

I was wondering if using the other LVM methods would help here? I will give the dm stuff a try and let you know, if it's just dependend on md.

        Cheers,
                Frank...

-Eric