Re: Performance question

To: Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Performance question
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 14:25:06 -0500 (EST)
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 at 7:41pm, Seth Mos wrote

> At 12:57 18-2-2004 -0500, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
> >I've pretty much ruled out hardware.  I've swapped the 3ware and rebuilt
> >the array, and the disks all show good SMART data.
>
> Have you considered raid 10 configuration? It will about halve the storage
> space but increase IO by a multiple.

Unfortunately I shold have mentioned that this is a heavily used
production server, and doing anything the requires rebuilding the FS is
pretty much off limits unless I have a *very* good reason.

> You could flip the cover and see if the disks are pushed hard by the
> controller (leds on the 3ware controller). Although from what you described
> above it's probably a directory growing a bit on the large side.

Yeah, I really think it's the large number of files.  I'm working to see
how much of them we can clean up right now.  I was wondering if xfs_fsr
would be a good idea, but ISTR it not being all that highly recommended.

> Perhaps creating the filessystem with a larger inode size like 512. You
> could also use version logs instead of version which mostly helped software
> raid 5 although this might help hardware as well.

Again, mkfs is a hard sell right now.

Thanks for the input.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain