inode allocation and volume groups

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: inode allocation and volume groups
From: PAulN <pauln@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 18:59:44 -0500
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,
I know this the linux list but I have an irix question..
I was wondering if someone could please explain the policy for inode allocation in an XVM environment. To maximize performance, I'd like to create a scheme where multiple file creates in the same directory are distributed across volume groups. If necessary, I can resort to creating the inodes in separate directories and hardlinking them into the "proper"
namespace but it would be helpful to know what XFS is doing under the hood.

I've tried various tests to charaterize the behavior but still have yet to fully understand
how it works.  Could someone enlighten me?

Thanks,
Paul