Re: Symbolic Links & XFS

To: AndyLiebman@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Symbolic Links & XFS
From: Glen Overby <overby@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 11:17:41 -0600 (CST)
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On January 26, AndyLiebman@xxxxxxx wrote:
> A question about symbolic links and Linux XFS. Is there any limitation on the
> number of symbolic links one could make to a file under XFS in Linux?

There is no XFS specific limit to the number of symbolic links to a
file.  Inodes don't contain any information about symlinks pointing to
them.

> For example, if I had 2000 files in a directory, and each file had 20
> symbolic links to it, is there any reason why I might get into trouble
> because of the
> links? (And could it make any difference how long the directory and
> subdirectory and filenames are?) If so, is XFS any different in regard to
> symbolic
> links compared to other Linux filesystems?

None of these limits apply to XFS; I'll leave the linux filesystem
comparison for someone else.

The maximum length of an individual symbolic link is 1024 bytes.

Glen Overby