Re: XFS internal error / xfs_force_shutdown

To: Russell Cattelan <cattelan@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS internal error / xfs_force_shutdown
From: Dan Lake <danl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 25 Jan 2004 13:41:33 -0800
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 13:25, Russell Cattelan wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 14:01, Dan Lake wrote:
> > I have been using XFS with some success on Linux NFS fileservers.  In
> > the past month, one server has been subjected to an
> > extremely heavy load - lots of IO, many files created/read/deleted,
> full
> > filesystem.  With the increase in load, the system has crashed or hung
> > numerous times.  I've included system configuration information and
> XFS
> > relevant traces from /var/log/messages below.
> >
> > I'd like to stabilize this system.  Any suggestions?
> >
> > =Dan Lake
> > Imageworks
> Can you run xfs_repair -n on the device and send us the output.

As I mentioned, I had already run xfs_repair on these filesystems.  I
had an opportunity today to re-run xfs_repair and sure enough, there
were inconsistencies needing repair.  I've attached the output to this
message.

On a separate note, I'm thinking of trying a 2.4.25 prepatch but am
wondering which would be better for my situation: 2.4.25-pre7 or the SGI
CVS kernel which appears to be 2.4.25-pre4?

Thanks!

=danl
--
pi equals 3 -- for small values of pi and large values of 3