Re: Segfault of xfs_repair during repair of a xfs filesystem

To: Rainer Krienke <krienke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Segfault of xfs_repair during repair of a xfs filesystem
From: Greg Freemyer <freemyer-ml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 09:58:34 -0500
Cc: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 05:35, Rainer Krienke wrote:

> In between I contacted the vendor of the hardware IDE raids. The technician
> confirmed that these raids have a read/write cache and that there is *no*
> battery backup. So in case of an active filesystem where suddenly there is a
> powerfail, it is likely that the hardware cache in the raid is not written to
> disk and the filesystem will be become inconsitent. And this very probably
> happened in my case.

XFS gurus:

If Rainer's raid system can not have the write cache enabled, is he
getting any benefit from the XFS Journaling?

I guess if it is an external array which does not have to have its power
cycled if/when the server has its power cycled, then at least the
journaling is used in the event of a kernel lockup.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer