Re: Segfault of xfs_repair during repair of a xfs filesystem

To: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Segfault of xfs_repair during repair of a xfs filesystem
From: Rainer Krienke <krienke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 11:35:12 +0100
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Dienstag, 6. Januar 2004 15:40, Eric Sandeen wrote:

> > Thanks for these explanations. Perhaps the buffer in the hardware raids
> > that are used as basis for data storage are to blame (IFT 7250 Raid
> > (Level 5), with 12 160GB IDE disks inside). I'll try to find out if this
> > cache is read only or read/write.
>
> Ah, and if the hardware raid does write caching, and it's not battery
> backed, then you -could- have inconsistency problems.  if the raid
> claims that something is written when in fact it is only cached,
> then there is a chance that the fs+log is inconsistent in the
>  case of a power failure.

In between I contacted the vendor of the hardware IDE raids. The technician
confirmed that these raids have a read/write cache and that there is *no*
battery backup. So in case of an active filesystem where suddenly there is a
powerfail, it is likely that the hardware cache in the raid is not written to
disk and the filesystem will be become inconsitent. And this very probably
happened in my case.

So the remaining question is only why xfs_repair was unable to repair the
damaged filesystem....

Thanks
Rainer
Rainer Krienke, Universitaet Koblenz, Rechenzentrum, Raum A022
Universitaetsstrasse 1, 56070 Koblenz, Tel: +49 261287 -1312, Fax: -1001312
Mail: krienke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Web: http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~krienke
Get my public PGP key: http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~krienke/mypgp.html