Re: Segfault of xfs_repair during repair of a xfs filesystem

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Segfault of xfs_repair during repair of a xfs filesystem
From: Rainer krienke <rainer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 20:22:44 +0100
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Am Montag, 5. Januar 2004 16:35 schrieben Sie:
> On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, Greg Freemyer wrote:
> > On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 02:49, Rainer Krienke wrote:
> > <snip>
> >
> > > - Can a filesystem with tansaction logging like xfs become inconsitant
> > > because of a power fail? There is no disk failure!
> >
> > Do you have write-caching disabled in your drives/raid controller.
> >
> > IIRC, XFS requires that it be disabled to ensure the transaction log
> > works as advertised.  This definately impacts speed, but ...
>
> Some of the higher-end cards have battery backup for fast-write cache.  You
> shouldn't have to disable it for those units.

The basis for storage are IFT 7250 Raids with IDE disks inside (external its
running fibrechannel). The device is configures as raid level 5. I looked
into the serial vt100 based control interface but there was no option to
enable or disable any kind of cache. The specs say it has a cache but I am
unsure if its a read only or a read/write cache. The specs don't say anything
about this nor if there is a battery backup. I think I'll ask the
manufacturer or my vendor.

Thanks for the hint
Rainer
--