Re: Repair XFS

To: <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Repair XFS
From: "Norman Zhang" <nzhang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 13:56:09 -0800
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
>> I'm seeing some irregulars halts on one of my XFS volume (/srv). I
>> can only use umount -l to dismount the volume or do a hot reboot.
>>
>> Dec  9 15:47:25 smbserver kernel: xfs_force_shutdown(md(9,5),0x8)
>> called from line 1039 of file xfs_trans.c.  Return address =
>> 0xe109f312
>> Dec  9 15:47:25 smbserver kernel: Corruption of in-memory data
>> detected. Shutting down filesystem: md(9,5)
>> Dec  9 15:47:25 smbserver kernel: Please umount the filesystem, and
>> rectify the problem(s)
>>
>> I'm not sure if the disk has problems, but during boot up there's no
>> error found by fsck. The stall sometime occurs in weeks and
>> sometimes few times per day. So I really doubt if this a disk
>> problem. Is there any way I can trace or perhaps fix this? BTW, if I
>> want to manually force a disk check on the XFS volume. Do I just do
>>
>> $ umount -l srv
>> $ fsck.xfs /srv
>>
>> I don't see any actions on the screen.
>
> fsck.xfs is a no-op.  What you need to do is use xfs_repair on the
> partition while it is unmounted.
>
> Note also that anything in lost+found will be "relost" and then
> "refound" as xfs_repair just unlinks that directory as part of the
> repair process.
>
> Once the repair is complete, you can then remount the file system.
>
> NOTE - you can run an xfs_check on the partition first to see what it
> may report as any problems.  However, if xfs_repair should be safe to
> run in most (all?) cases.

I ran xfs_check /srv but got "xfs_check: can't determine device size". I'm
doing something wrong?

I can't seem to umount /srv without -l

[root@smbserver root]# umount /srv
umount: /srv: device is busy

I take it I have to umount /srv before doing xfs_check. So I'm need to
reboot then xfs_check?

Regards,
Norman

/dev/md4 / xfs noatime 1 1
/dev/sda1 /boot ext2 noatime 1 2
/dev/sdb5 /bootbak ext2 noatime 1 2
none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
/dev/md1 /home xfs noatime,grpquota,usrquota 1 2
none /mnt/cdrom supermount
dev=/dev/hdc,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepa
ge=850,umask=0 0 0
none /mnt/floppy supermount
dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,cod
epage=850,umask=0 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/md5 /srv xfs noatime,grpquota,usrquota 1 2
/dev/md7 /srv2 xfs grpquota,usrquota 1 2
/dev/md0 /tmp xfs noatime 1 2
/dev/md6 /transfer xfs noatime,grpquota,usrquota 1 2
/dev/md3 /usr xfs noatime 1 2
/dev/md2 /var xfs noatime 1 2
/dev/sda5 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/sdb6 swap swap defaults 0 0