advice: 3ware+raid+xfs

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: advice: 3ware+raid+xfs
From: Gaspar Bakos <gbakos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 12:14:57 -0500 (EST)
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Dear all,

I am about to build a system for data reduction, but before I do so, I
thought of posting this in case anyone has useful hints (don't do that!,
or be careful with...)

It would be a dual xeon mobo + 3ware Escalade card + 4x250Gb (WD) disk,
running most probably RH9.0 and kernel 2.4.22-xfs. I haven't decided yet
about the arrangement of the 4x250Gb disks, but definitely there will be
XFS on them. My possibilities are: (I need total space more than 500Gb)
1. JBOD, each disk one partition
(drawback: I have to take care of not filling either of them)
2. RAID-0, one single 1Tb XFS partition
3. RAID-5

Any advice would be welcome. I guess people have done this, and
have experience. E.g.issues related to XFS when one disk
fails, and has to be replaced. Or mkfs/xfs parameters ideal for mostly
relatively big files (8Mb and 16Mb) accompanied with very small files
(<1kB). Recovery issues: I saw xfs_check run out of memory on a single
120Gb partition after an unexpected power failure. 3Ware configuration
issues that might be related to XFS, speed, efficiency.

If the above ide, however, seems viable, just ignore this email.

Being an astronomer, I am not that experienced with sw/hw issues...
I was  always wondering when people write "we have been testing XFS with
60Tb filesystems" (and other magic numbers) - how they do that?

Best wishes
Gaspar