Re: direct-IO writes strange behavior

To: Alberto Nava <beto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: direct-IO writes strange behavior
From: Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 00:44:20 -0800
Cc: beto@xxxxxxxxxxx, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Alberto Nava <beto@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've done some more digging on this issue. The reason the
>  request is going in 4k pages is that the direct-io code is
>  giving up in do_direct_IO() and the request is issued as buffer IO :-(.

You seem to be using a -mm kernel.  It has extensive and not-quite-complete
and not-really-tested-at-all-with-XFS direct-io changes.

It would be best to concentrate on stock Linus direct-io for now - wait
until we think we've completed the direct-io rework in -mm and have tested
it decently with XFS.