Re: Question about mounting Indy disk

To: owen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Question about mounting Indy disk
From: Glen Overby <overby@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 11:57:00 -0600 (CST)
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On November 18, owen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> You probably hear this thousands of times... sorry ;-((
>
> I read the FAQ, and also another question about this, where it seemed like
> this may work... I have an old Indy I bought -- sans root password. I want to
> mount the XFS partition.
>
> I put the hard disc in, watch it spin up and Linux recognize the partition. I
> can mount the 1st and 3rd under EFS, and see nothing but /lost+found.
> However,
> when I mount the second, I get a bad magic number error!
>
> Any thoughts?

sounds like slice 2 was your swap partition.

By convention:

0 is root
2 is swap
7 is an option drive
8 is the fx volume header
10 is the entire volume

I'm not sure what partition is used for split root and /usr.

Are you sure that your old indy was using XFS for it's filesystems?
It sounds like you have some very empty efs partitions on it.

Glen Overby