Re: Anaconda

To: Ajay Ramaswamy <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Anaconda
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 20:45:58 -0600 (CST)
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx, <katzj@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Ajay Ramaswamy wrote:

> Hello,
> I have been watching the progress of anaconda in the fedora core development
> and finally over the last 3 days I have started patching XFS support into it.
>
> I now need some help. As I see it the XFS support in fedora core can be
> broken
> down into the following components
>
> 1. Kernel - DaveJ has said NO :-<  ...
>     solution is to make our own.

where'd he say that?  *grumble*
At this point we need something like 3 exports to make xfs work with
RHEL, I assume it's similar for fedora.  rh already has 98% of what they
need to make xfs work.  :/

> 2. Userspace - SGI provides RPMS they work fine.
>
> 3. Comps file add 2 lines one for xfsprogs & the other for xfsdump. I just
> copied and pasted the lines for e2fsprogs and dump and changed the names.
> This time around anaconda does dependency resolvind during the install so no
> need to run /usr/share/comps/getfullcomps.py to make the packages section.

If you can find one of our old installers you can look at the anaconda
patch we had to get things working.  But the above sounds about right.

> 4. Enable XFS as a supported filesystem in anaconda. Trivial patch, this time
> around I added xfs_copy to the rescue image so that one can boot off the cd
> and copy partitions.

Attached patch looks about right, too.

If you're interested in spinning Fedora+xfs installers, we'd be eternally
grateful.  But i must say that it's a bit frustrating that Red Hat
is >this close< to being able to support xfs, yet they still don't want
to go the last short haul to get there.

-eric