Re: xfssyncd syncing every five seconds?

To: Jeremy Field <jezza@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: xfssyncd syncing every five seconds?
From: Nathan Scott <nathans@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 12:21:13 +1000
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 12:06:32PM +1000, Jeremy Field wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using linux 2.4.21 with xfs 1.3 on debian-unstable. Since I
> upgraded from 2.4.18-xfs-1.1, my xfs partitions have been showing pulses
> of activity every five seconds, I think because of xfssyncd. The hard
> drive physically seeks every five seconds too.
>
> I have reviewed this mailing list and elsewhere for clues, but can't
> work out either:
>       a) whether this behaviour is normal, or
>       b) how to change the interval.

A sysctl variable controls this: /proc/sys/fs/xfs/sync_interval
From Documentation/filesystems/xfs.txt...

  fs.xfs.sync_interval          (Min: HZ  Default: 30*HZ  Max: 60*HZ)
        The interval at which the xfssyncd thread for xfs filesystems
        flushes metadata out to disk. This thread will flush log
        activity out, and do some processing on unlinked inodes

What makes you suspect xfssyncd?  It could also be some arbitrary
process deciding to write something out every few seconds of course.

cheers.

--
Nathan