Re: XFS shutdown with 1.3.0

To: Simon Matter <simon.matter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS shutdown with 1.3.0
From: Nathan Scott <nathans@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 15:20:32 +1000
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 01:14:23PM +0200, Simon Matter wrote:

> >> agf_freeblks 22053, counted 30629 in ag 6
> >> agi_freecount 332, counted 331 in ag 153
> >>
> >> [root@xxl root]# xfs_repair -n -l /dev/md9 /dev/md8
> >
> > Running xfs_repair without -n might help in this case to fix sufficient
> > data on the first run that subsequent runs don't dump core. :|
>
> Now that I took a recent backup of the most important data, I'll try this
> next :)

Good thinking.

> > The gdb trace from xfs_repair will provide more clues here too.
> >
> >> xfs_repair: warning - cannot get sector size from block device /dev/md8:
> >> Invalid argument
> >> xfs_repair: warning - cannot get sector size from block device /dev/md9:
> >> Invalid argument
> >> Phase 1 - find and verify superblock...
> >> sb root inode value 128 inconsistent with calculated value 512
> >> would reset superblock root inode pointer to 512

This error is key I think - from your stack trace, it looks like
xfs_repair is dumping core related to this (it _should_ be thinking
the root inode# is 128 for your fs, not 512).

> > Wierd.  Is this a 4K blocksize filesystem?  Do you have xfs_info
> > output handy?  taa.
>
> [root@xxl root]# xfs_info /home
> meta-data=/home                  isize=256    agcount=160, agsize=262144 blks
>          =                       sectsz=512
> data     =                       bsize=4096   blocks=41889120, imaxpct=25
>          =                       sunit=32     swidth=96 blks, unwritten=0
> naming   =version 2              bsize=4096
> log      =external               bsize=4096   blocks=25600, version=1
>          =                       sectsz=512   sunit=0 blks
> realtime =none                   extsz=393216 blocks=0, rtextents=0
>
> IIRC I created the FS with some XFS 1.0.x version. The size was ~20G, I
> have since grown it to ~170G.

Oh.  There was a growfs bug for a long time, fixed only recently,
where the kernel growfs code would often corrupt the new last AG of
the grown filesystem.  I wonder if that may have started this off
for you.

Probably the best bet at this stage will be to re-mkfs and restore
your backup.  Be good to know what went wrong in repair though.
You will probably get a better ondisk layout that way too (you
should see a smaller agcount when you re-mkfs, and bigger AG size).

cheers.

--
Nathan