Re: XFs stability

To: lord@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: XFs stability
From: mahesh.babbar@xxxxxx
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 19:29:22 +0530
Cc: mahesh.babbar@xxxxxx, logiplex@xxxxxxxxx, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx

     Agreed Steve and Lonnie. It's all my fault that I am on an ancient
     code !

     But as they 'once bitten twice shy', I am yet to gather courage to
     keep working with XFS.

     We have servers working on ext2/ext3 w/o a glitch. That's why I said
     unless I see 'silverline on dark clouds' i,e those 'extra' advantages
     XFS provide over others, I would like to play safe.

     Mahesh

Author:  lord (lord@xxxxxxx) at internet
Date:    7/22/2003 6:51 PM

On Tue, 2003-07-22 at 08:04, mahesh.babbar@xxxxxx wrote:
>      Thanks for the response Mike & Cliff,
>
>      On our server though, which is basically a file server, serving
>      clients files over NFS. We have had 4-5 instances of xfs_shutdown
>      with message like "in-core memory corruption...." .
>
>      The exact messages are:
>
>      kerrnel: xfs_force_shutdown(lvm(58,2),0x8) called from line 1035 of
>      file xfs_trans.c.  Return address = 0xc01cc10a
>      kernel: Corruption of in-memory data detected.  Shutting down
>      filesystem: lvm(58,2)
>      kernel: Please umount the filesystem, and rectify the problem(s)
>
>      At once, we had lost data even after repairing the filesystem using
>      xfs_repair and that too production data. Clearly, we are a worried lot
>      !
>
>      Would appreciate if I can get some information on concrete advantages
>      which XFS has over ext3/2 in terms of stability (specially as a file
>      server, performnace (with figures e.g how much % write/read gain) and
>      features.
>
>      I believe we are using the XFS version which is as old as July 2001.

It is really difficult to have sympathy for you if you are running 2
year old code. There have been a vast number of improvements in the
code since then.

As for advantages/disadvantages, I will leave that to other folks.

Steve