Re: User processes run out of memory on XFS directory

To: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: User processes run out of memory on XFS directory
From: Josh Fishman <fishman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 18:15:07 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx

On 21 Jul 2003, Eric Sandeen wrote:

> Ok, so you do have V1 dirs... and, you have a fairly recent kernel.
> Hm.  (Steve did some v1 work a while back, but it should be in your
> kernel)
>
> you could also point xfs_repair (-n to do a trial run) and sanity-check
> the filesystem.

This gives no indication of errors.

Furthermore, when I muck with a random file within the Unlistable
Directory, it works fine. (I get the file names via xfs_ncheck.)

There are quite a lot of files in the directory, but GNU 'ls' worked
fine on the directory under IRIX.

Maybe I should just write a script to get everything out using
'xfs_ncheck'... but that seems ugly. :-/

Unfortunately, I'm not much of a kernal hacker, and haven't ever
used KDB. On the other hand, the compressed disk image is only
about 130 MB, so I could put it up on my webserver for download
if you'd like to pick at it yourself.  :-)

Thanks, ---Josh

PS: Full output of xfs_repair:

Phase 1 - find and verify superblock...
Phase 2 - using internal log
        - scan filesystem freespace and inode maps...
        - found root inode chunk
Phase 3 - for each AG...
        - scan (but don't clear) agi unlinked lists...
        - process known inodes and perform inode discovery...
        - agno = 0
        - agno = 1
        - agno = 2
        - agno = 3
        - agno = 4
        - agno = 5
        - agno = 6
        - agno = 7
        - agno = 7
        - process newly discovered inodes...
Phase 4 - check for duplicate blocks...
        - setting up duplicate extent list...
        - check for inodes claiming duplicate blocks...
        - agno = 0
        - agno = 1
        - agno = 2
        - agno = 3
        - agno = 4
        - agno = 5
        - agno = 6
        - agno = 7
No modify flag set, skipping phase 5
Phase 6 - check inode connectivity...
        - traversing filesystem starting at / ...
        - traversal finished ...
        - traversing all unattached subtrees ...
        - traversals finished ...
        - moving disconnected inodes to lost+found ...
Phase 7 - verify link counts...
No modify flag set, skipping filesystem flush and exiting.