maximize xfsdump media file size

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: maximize xfsdump media file size
From: Nicolas Kowalski <Nicolas.Kowalski@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 13:42:08 +0200
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hello.

Since we started using xfs, all our backups were done using xfsdump on
remote tape drives, handled by a SunOS sparc box. Now that this sparc
box is dead, I connected the tape drives directly on the linux box
containing the XFS filesystems.

The xfsdump still works, but now, the dumps are split in multiple
files of ~300MB each on the tape drives, which breaks our backup
scripts. These expect to find one file per dump (for dump listing
purpose).

I have read the xfsdump manpage, and especially the '-d' (media file
size) option, but I am unable to find the equivalent option value for
the '-a' (auto-size, aka write until end of tape) option of the
"traditional" dump tool. Do I have to specify an arbitrary high file
size ?

Any hint about this ?

Many thanks in advance.

--