Re: different behaviour between XFS and ext3

To: Blair Barnett <bbarnett@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: different behaviour between XFS and ext3
From: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Date: 31 Jul 2003 09:47:53 -0500
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 2003-07-30 at 16:52, Blair Barnett wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a simple shell script that writes numbers to a file and every 10
> numbers does a sync and after 40 does a reboot. I've attached the script
> to this email.
>
> If the file is written to an EXT3 filesystem, then file contains the
> numbers 1-40. However, if the file is written to an XFS 1.1,1.2, or 1.3
> filesystem, then file contains the numbers 1-10.
>
> Can someone tell me if this is a feature of XFS or a bug?

Its a bug, not sure what it is yet, those subsequent syncs should
be working. In testing sync and reboot I was untaring a linux kernel
doing sync followed by immediate reset of the box. I can build the
kernel afterwards, so that works. When I run the test, there is more
data on the disk than number 10, but the inode size is back at where
it was at the first sync.

Steve