Re: different behaviour between XFS and ext3

To: Klaus Strebel <klaus.strebel@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: different behaviour between XFS and ext3
From: Blair Barnett <bbarnett@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 06:35:28 -0700
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Klaus

Thanks for the pointer. I'm probably just naive, but I thought a sync
call forced the data to secondary storage. Maybe sync doesn't guaruntee
that:

NAME
       sync - flush filesystem buffers

SYNOPSIS
       sync [OPTION]

DESCRIPTION
       Force changed blocks to disk, update the super block.

       --help display this help and exit

       --version
              output version information and exit

Looks like the manual is wrong in the case of sync and XFS. :-)

I would assume that sync overrides the mount options, but again I could
be mistaken.

Thanks for the reply.

-blair