Re: XFS as a module for RH AS or ES

To: Austin Gonyou <austin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, XFS List <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS as a module for RH AS or ES
From: Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 11:07:24 +0200
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
At 11:26 24-6-2003 -0500, Austin Gonyou wrote:
I was curious as to the status of this possible effort.

I am working on a installer but it will not use the 2.4.9 enterprise kernel as it originally did.

Is this something actively pursued? How long will it be?

Every know and then I spend some hours on it. So far I have CD set that has the XFS kernel bits and userland tools on it. The biggest problem is the modification of the installer.

Since the license for the Red Hat installer prohibits redistributing with the Red Hat trademark logo's and material this needs a lot of work. Basically Red Hat ES is 7.2 with a few patches. The differences are not that huge.

What parts would need to be stable before using in an enterprise
production environmet, etc? (i.e. XFS environment module would need to
be created so one could use a binary only kernel + xfs without patches)
Which XFS codebase could be used as the module?(1.2+?)

There is no way to make XFS possible as a module without patching the kernel. Especially something as "old" as the 2.4.9 enterprise kernel.

What I am searching for is someone that would attempt fitting XFS 1.2 (or 1.3pre) into the 2.4.9 enterprise kernel. it won't be pretty.
You can fetch the Red Hat kernel from their ftp server.
ftp://updates.redhat.com/enterprise/2.1ES/en/os/SRPMS/kernel-2.4.9-e.25.src.rpm

For now I stick with the 2.4.20-18 kernel with XFS during and after installation.

I ask all this because it would be very nice for us to use this if we
could even possibly buy support or something to get all our server OS
parts supported, that would be nice.

As soon as you recompile a kernel or install a significant third party library you will already void the support contract. Red Hat only supports plain vanilla RHEL ES installs and I fully understand since support would otherwise be a nightmare.

We bought the basic ES product for $350 only to find that it doesn't support the raid controller in the new server it is supposed to be installed on. Yay. Red Hat says that the machine is not listed in their hardware compatability list and as such will not do anything with the support call. To make it even sillier, the driver for the raid controller in question is in the rpm but not available during installer time... aaarrrgh.

Cheers

--
Seth