Re: Problem with xfsdump

To: Tilo Lutz <TiloLutz@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Problem with xfsdump
From: dwild+xfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 09:57:18 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, 24 Jun 2003, Tilo Lutz wrote:

> I have a problem using xfsdump to backup on a remote
> system. I use an onstream-tape wich is only able
> safe data with a blocksize of 32768.
> Is it possible xfsdump is ignorier the "-b" parameter
> if data will be stored on a remote host?
> If I run xfsdump -f backup@$IP:/dev/nst0 -o -l 0 -L "`date`" -M
> "Server" -F -b 32768 / I get the following error on
> remote host: st0: Illegal blocksize.
> But blocksize is OK. The same command works on the remote host
> itself and tar is working on both machines.
> Any ideas whats wrong?

I had the same problem, and I ended up adding the '-m' flag to get around
it.  Here's my command line (lto1 drive, 1024k block size):

xfsdump -o -b 1048576 -m -F -L $LOCALNAME:$FS -d 256 -e -p 60 -l $LEVEL -f
$DRIVEHOST:$DRIVEPATH -c "$MEDIACHANGE" $FS

It seems remote drive handling still needs some work, but this may be a
limitation in rmt, not xfsdump.

mp