XFS as initrd file system

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: XFS as initrd file system
From: "Jason H. Smith" <jhs@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 16:42:32 +0700
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hi.  I'm trying to make an XFS-only system.  The kernel mounts XFS
filesystems fine, but I'm having problems migrating from an ext2 initrd
image to XFS.

I've tried 4, 8, and 32 megabyte initrd sizes; and various block sizes
(mkfs.xfs -b), but I get the same error from the kernel at the initrd
phase:

  XFS: device supports only 1024 byte sectors (not 512)

This same setup works if I use ext2 as the initrd filesystem, but I do not
want ext2 in my kernel for something as trivial as initrd.

Thanks much for any thoughts.  My searches got many false positives about
XFS modules and such in the initrd environment; but that is not my
problem at all.

--
Jason Smith
Open Enterprise Systems