Re: redhat 9 xfs install problems

To: Jason Gabriele <gabrie16@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: redhat 9 xfs install problems
From: Cliff Wells <LogiplexSoftware@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 23 Jun 2003 10:25:43 -0700
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, 2003-06-20 at 19:42, Jason Gabriele wrote:
> Hi. I am having difficulties installing redhat 9 on xfs using the sgi
> installer (1.2). everything installs fine but after it reboots the bios
> errors saying it cannot start the os. This is with using the entire
> drive for linux and using the automatic partitioning and default GRUB
> settings. Ive tried using LILO but then it just hangs. Has anyone had
> this problem? Im not exactly sure how bios read information off
> harddrives but is there some way my board isn't fully compatible with
> XFS? I have the latest version of Epoxs bios which they just released a
> week ago.

The way I've done it is to first install using GRUB as the bootloader.
Of course the system won't boot when you are finished, but all that is
required is the following:

1.  *KNOW* which partition is your /boot partition (/dev/hda1, etc)
    [the following will assume /boot on hda1 and / on hda2]
2.  Boot from the XFS CD, at the "boot:" prompt, type "linux rescue"
3.  Don't mount any partitions when prompted
4.  Once you get a root prompt, mount your root partition and boot
    partition under /mnt/sysimage (i.e. "mount /dev/hda2 /mnt/sysimage ;
    mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/sysimage/boot")
5.  Type  "chroot /mnt/sysimage"
6.  Type in "grub"
7.  At the grub prompt type the following:
    root (hd0,0)
    setup (hd0)
    quit
    *** NOTE!!! the above values assume your /boot is on hda1!!! ****
    Change it accordingly (i.e. root(hd0,1) would be hda2, root(hd1,0)
    would be hdb1, etc.  Putting in the wrong values can hose things up
    in a not so nice way ;)

8.  Exit from chroot and rescue mode by pressing ctrl+d twice.
9.  Enjoy =)

Regards,

--
Cliff Wells, Software Engineer