Re: 2.4.20-18 Red Hat errata kernel with XFS 1.2.0

To: Paulo Matos <pjsm@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 2.4.20-18 Red Hat errata kernel with XFS 1.2.0
From: Stefan Smietanowski <stesmi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 12:58:44 +0200
Cc: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>, "Bryan J. Smith" <b.j.smith@xxxxxxxx>, Austin Gonyou <austin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx>, XFS List <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Paulo Matos wrote:
On 11 Jun 2003, Eric Sandeen wrote:

Does 2.5/2.6 completely take care of providing these interfaces?

XFS is in 2.5, so it's mostly a moot point.  It's possible that from
time to time, updated XFS in CVS will require a kernel change that is
not in Linus' tree, of course.

Does 2.6 will include XFS completely, or will we live with two branches, one on kernel tree and another side away? A little off-topic question, anyone know if there is an expected release date for 2.6?

The way things usually work in the linux kernel world is that something
goes in to the kernel. The main work is done outside the main tree and
fixes and changes are moved at times from the development tree (if you
call it that) and in to the main kernel tree (linus' tree).

Examples of that: ACPI, pcmcia, USB and I can go on and on ..

// Stefan