Re: 2.4.20-18 Red Hat errata kernel with XFS 1.2.0

To: Austin Gonyou <austin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 2.4.20-18 Red Hat errata kernel with XFS 1.2.0
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>
Date: 11 Jun 2003 16:36:41 -0500
Cc: Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx>, Paulo Matos <pjsm@xxxxxxxxxx>, XFS List <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 2003-06-11 at 16:28, Austin Gonyou wrote:

> Could it be possible to modularize the XFS? Kind of like an XFS
> patch-less install? I dunno if that's possible, somewhat like how some
> of these driver installers work now a days for linux?

You need core kernel changes to support XFS... especially in 2.4.9!  So
a patch-less install.... nope.

OTOH we are talking about distributing the next release in 2 packages,
an "xfs-ready" kernel, and an xfs-module RPM.  That way xfs can
beupdated without a new kernel install, as long as the interface does
not change.

Not sure if we'll get this done, but I've been kicking it around.

-Eric

sandeen@xxxxxxx   SGI, Inc.         651-683-3102