Re: Strange system behaviour when copying disks

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Strange system behaviour when copying disks
From: Robert Brockway <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 11:31:07 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 14 May 2003, Walt H wrote:

> Do you have dma enabled on your IDE disks? I can't think of any reason
> off the top of my head why a cat from hda -> hdc should be affected by
> XFS, as you aren't using the filesystem for that - it's just reading the
> raw device. Make sure dma is enabled on hda and hdc and see if that
> helps:  hdparm -d1 /dev/hda /dev/hdc

I recommend backing up before using hdparm.  I've actually had hard locks
from playing with dma this way.  Filesystem corruptions are not unknown
when changing settings with hdparm.  This is largely due to manufacturers
not following the ATA spec properly.

Hdparm is usually fine to use but occassionally it can bite, so beware.

Cheers,
        Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  ICQ: 104781119