Re: Strange system behaviour when copying disks

To: Olaf Fr±czyk <olaf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Strange system behaviour when copying disks
From: Walt H <waltabbyh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 08:21:04 -0700
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Olaf Fra;czyk wrote:
> Hi,
> I have linux 2.4.20 + XFS from CVS 09-Jan-2003.
> System is based on RedHat 8.0.
> Motherboard ASUS A7V266A (via KT266A chipset)
> 512MB RAM
> 2 IBM SCSI disks connected to Adaptec 2940U2W
> CD-RW, DVD-RAM connected to the same adaptec card
> 2 IBM IDE disks connected to motherboard controller
>
> If I copy disk /dev/hda to /dev/hdc:
> cat /dev/hda > /dev/hdc the system becomes __highly__ unresponsive
> Processor is about 90 % idle
> Load average is about 5
> Working with X is impossible (about 1 second freeze every 1-2 seconds).
> As the root partition is also XFS I have no possibility to load vanilla
> kernel and try with it. I also have no free partition on SCSI disk to
> install fresh system with vanilla kernel for testing.
> renice -19 for X makes no difference.
>
> Does anyone has idea why is it happening? Or maybe this is "normal"
> linux behaviour?
>
> I will have some free time later and I'll grab latest CVS and try it.
>
> Regards,
>
> Olaf Fraczyk

Olaf,

Do you have dma enabled on your IDE disks? I can't think of any reason
off the top of my head why a cat from hda -> hdc should be affected by
XFS, as you aren't using the filesystem for that - it's just reading the
raw device. Make sure dma is enabled on hda and hdc and see if that
helps:  hdparm -d1 /dev/hda /dev/hdc

-Walt