Strange system behaviour when copying disks

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Strange system behaviour when copying disks
From: Olaf Frączyk <olaf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 14 May 2003 14:53:29 +0200
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,
I have linux 2.4.20 + XFS from CVS 09-Jan-2003.
System is based on RedHat 8.0.
Motherboard ASUS A7V266A (via KT266A chipset)
512MB RAM
2 IBM SCSI disks connected to Adaptec 2940U2W
CD-RW, DVD-RAM connected to the same adaptec card
2 IBM IDE disks connected to motherboard controller

If I copy disk /dev/hda to /dev/hdc:
cat /dev/hda > /dev/hdc the system becomes __highly__ unresponsive
Processor is about 90 % idle
Load average is about 5
Working with X is impossible (about 1 second freeze every 1-2 seconds).
As the root partition is also XFS I have no possibility to load vanilla
kernel and try with it. I also have no free partition on SCSI disk to
install fresh system with vanilla kernel for testing.
renice -19 for X makes no difference.

Does anyone has idea why is it happening? Or maybe this is "normal"
linux behaviour?

I will have some free time later and I'll grab latest CVS and try it.

Regards,

Olaf Fraczyk