Re: FS Limits (fwd)

To: Oliver Tennert <tennert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: FS Limits (fwd)
From: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Date: 14 May 2003 07:11:49 -0500
Cc: Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 2003-05-14 at 06:33, Oliver Tennert wrote:

> Yes, I am aware of the page cache limit. My question is more theoretical
> of nature, anyway.
>
> What I wanted to know is just that: there are limits with Linux due to the
> page cache, the block device etc etc. But what limit does the XFS code
> itself have, dependent on the block size 4k,16k,64k.
>
> Or the other way round: on an IRIX Octane, what is the maximum file system
> limit for 4k blocksize?
>
> Best regards and many thanks

Probably larger than you can physically attach to it, the theoretical
limit is 18 Peta bytes, not 9. The pages here (marketing info):

 http://www.sgi.com/software/xfs/

talk about 8000 Tbytes being physically connectable to SGI hardware,
I am not sure what sort of configuration is required to do that or
how the number was arrived at.

Steve