re[2]: Zero filled files

To: Murthy Kambhampaty <murthy.kambhampaty@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Steve Lord'" <lord@xxxxxxx>
Subject: re[2]: Zero filled files
From: Greg Freemyer <freemyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 17:45:55 -0400
Cc: <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
 >>  PS: Some suggestions on killing sleeps in xfstest/068, or elsewhere (can I
 >>  take a pass on the joke regarding loss of sleep due to a certain
 >>  commercial
 >>  operating system ... almost):

 >>  1.) create a unique numeric identifier MySleep (MySleep=$$ works for me,
 >>  mostly) and put it in the fractional part of the sleep time with "sleep
 >>  600.$MySleep" in the clean function. Then a "kill -INT $(ps ax | grep
 >>  sleep
 >>  | grep $MySleep | awk 'BEGIN{FS=" "}{print $1}')" just before the line
 >>  "sleep "$DELAY_BETWEEN_ITERATIONS" kills off the "expired" sleep
 >>  2.) to kill all the sleeps spawned by a script, put
 >>  MySession=$$
 >>  at the top of the script and
 >>  "for tPID in $(ps -eo pid,session,command | grep $MySession | grep sleep |
 >>  awk 'BEGIN{FS=" "}{print $1}'); do kill -INT $tPID; done"
 >>  where needed in the script.

Murthy,

I wrote 068 with the help of the people on this list, but I have not used it
since Sept.

Glad to hear you found it useful.

If you feel confident in your changes, feel free to post a context diff and
hopefully Nathan Scott can review your work and check-it into cvs for you, like
he did for me.

Thanks again Nathan, and I hope I'm not speaking out of turn.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer