Re: FS Limits (fwd)

To: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: FS Limits (fwd)
From: Oliver Tennert <tennert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 13:33:58 +0200 (CEST)
Cc: Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, 13 May 2003, Steve Lord wrote:

> On ia32 linux with the LBD patches, you will max out at 16 Tbytes as
> this is the address limit of the address_space used to cache the
> metadata. Systems with more than 32 bits for the page->index field
> can go larger than that.

Yes, I am aware of the page cache limit. My question is more theoretical
of nature, anyway.

What I wanted to know is just that: there are limits with Linux due to the
page cache, the block device etc etc. But what limit does the XFS code
itself have, dependent on the block size 4k,16k,64k.

Or the other way round: on an IRIX Octane, what is the maximum file system
limit for 4k blocksize?

Best regards and many thanks

Oliver

                   Dr. Oliver Tennert